Hello wonderful people, how is your week coming along? Never a dull moment in mine – 2015 is turning out to be the year I work hard and party harder!
Tuesday sparkle on the blog always brings with it travel yearning and inspiration, and this week I decided to compile a quick reference guide for the magical island of Bali!
Bali, also referred to as the island of the Gods, is an enchanting travel destination. It is surprising how one place can offer so much – a trip to Bali usually results in multiple experiences in one go. From sightseeing, nature trails, shopping, eating out, partying to spirituality, healing and Yoga – this place packs a punch! Despite being a popular tropical holiday travel destination, it is still largely untouched by commercialization, thus retaining its culture and traditions over time. Bali continues to offer authentic, charming and fulfilling travel for everyone – luxury aficionados, spiritual seekers as well as creative souls. This is one destination where you can create your own unique travel experience, based on what you are seeking at that point in time!
I discovered Bali through the famous novel and movie Eat, Pray, Love. A significant part of the story takes place in Bali – this is where the author finds balance, and love! If you want to know more, this article will give you a quick idea of how Bali is central to the story.
I have been wanting to travel to Bali for a really long time now, but till that happens, I will make myself happy with this post on all things Bali! PS – if like me, your Bali trip is also inspired by the book and movie, definitely visit the authors website for references and contacts of some of the popular characters.
My top three recommendations when visiting Bali would be:
- Explore natures bounty – Revel in the scenic beauty of the island by visiting the beaches, rice paddies and exploring the wildlife. Be an adventure seeker and stay outdoors for most part of the travel.
- Relax, de-stress and let go – A trip to Bali would not be complete without a visit to some popular spas and resort hotels. Also make sure you take back a bit of Bali by picking up trinkets and crafts from famous Balinese markets.
- Have a spiritual experience – Try a yoga retreat in the splendid outdoors, visit the famous temples and definitely connect with a healer. Look within and use this trip as a reason for finding yourself!
The following links should give you sufficient information when planning a trip to Bali. If you are aware of additional resources, do share in the comments below.
Official sites and tour guides – These travel websites will ensure you are not missing out on any critical information when planning your Bali vacation.
- Bali Tourism Board – for all official tourism related information on Bali.
- Bali.com Travel Guide – covers several options on what to see, do, eat, drink when in Bali; most articles are accompanied by photo galleries which is a bonus.
- Bali Guide – this guide covers critical information around visas, airlines, money, language, transport and weather. They even have useful resources to help plan a wedding in Bali!
- Travel and Leisure Guide – if you are looking for information around best times to visit, top attractions and other helpful details, check out this link.
- Fodors Travel Guide – this guide includes useful details on travel tips and top experiences in Bali.
- Lonely Planet Guide – I am biased towards the Lonely Planet travel guides – they are my favorites and deserve a mention in every travel post! Their guides are very comprehensive and updated frequently, so make sure you check this one out.
- Virtual Tourist Guide – this website also includes a members community – so in case you want to ask questions or interact more before planning your trip, have a look here.
- Bali Tour Magic – if you want to plan your itinerary according to different regions in Bali, refer to this guide.
- Bali for Beginners infographic – you know I love infographics! And this one covers all important information for beginners planning a visit to Bali.
If all of the above seems like too much reading, here is a video to keep things simple. It talks about 9 tips for first timers traveling to Bali.
Things to keep in mind – A quick reading list for important things to remember when planning a trip to Bali.
- Do’s & Dont’s to keep in mind when traveling to Bali – the place is steeped in culture and traditions, so do a quick check to ensure you don’t make any major faux pas during your visit.
- Tips when traveling to Bali – 12 generic tips and 13 additional ones for newbies.
- Looking for budget tips and references – check out this post which covers stay, food, activity suggestions so you can plan your travel to Bali for cheap.
- Confused about what to pack? Check out this article on what to wear in Bali. And for more details, refer to this concise Bali packing list or this comprehensive list for a 10 days trip.
Relax and de-stress – There is so much you can do in Bali! Below are some top suggestions by location and/or activity.
- These lists will give you an idea of top locations, tourist attractions and places you must visit when traveling to Bali. Check them out here, here and here.
- Apart from locations and places, there are some experiences or activities you must try when you are in Bali. Check out comprehensive lists of ideas here, here, here, here and here.
- Beach bums – You have to explore the beautiful beaches of Bali. Check out these links which cover all the main ones – Bali beaches cheat sheet, 10 hidden beaches in Bali and surfing in Bali.
- Uncommon itineraries – For unique and off the beaten track experiences, visit a healer, celebrate the Balinese new year (Nyepi) by observing silence or get married in Bali! To plan these distinct itineraries, check out this list, these 20 attractions, this plan for a beautiful escape and these 14 ideas for unique experiences in Bali.
- Shopping – Bali has plenty of exciting markets to fulfill your hearts desires. Here are top 5 places to shop in Bali and you can use this guide for a reference on what to shop. Don’t forget to visit these top six shopping boutiques in Bali. And remember to explore the popular markets of Ubud.
- Check out these quick tips for dining in Bali (Seminyak).
- Plan custom itineraries using the help of this frequent traveler or plan a 3 days custom itinerary to Seminyak using this link.
- Solo female travelers visiting Bali must read this guide and check out Escape Haven – a top luxury women’s retreat in Bali.
- If you are traveling with kids, check out helpful tips here and here.
- If you are looking for some thrills, here are 6 adventure ideas, 5 bizarre experiences, 20 amazing ideas and 7 coolest things you can do in Bali.
- Ubud was one of the key destinations covered in Eat, Pray, Love and is a must visit! Here is a complete guide on Ubud as well as a list of the top 10 things to do in Ubud to ensure you don’t miss out on anything.
- If you are planning to make your travel romantic and luxurious, check out top 10 romantic things for couples in Bali or try these top 9 Bali resort hotels for a dream vacation.
- Are you visiting Bali as a volunteer? Definitely make a note of these top 15 things to do when volunteering in Bali.
Plan a Yoga Treat – Bali and spirituality go hand-in-hand and every year, it is home to a famous yoga retreat or festival. A Yoga class in Bali is a must have experience for any traveler!
- The Yoga Barn will help you plan the perfect Yoga retreat in Bali.
- Re-connect with your soul – check out these 7 spiritual ways to experience Bali.
- Here are 8 cant miss experiences in Bali for the travelling Yogi.